University of Applied science Weihenstephan-Triesdorf
Green, innovative and work-related – that’s what the University of Applied Science Weihenstephan-Triesdorf stands for. Since 1971 the university has created a unique profile; no other university has a comparable range of subjects, that are oriented clearly and consequently to the so called “green subjects”. Unique in Bavaria, the courses offer a spectrum ranging from the scientific to the artistic study, from HighTech to LandArt, from molecules to landscape. The University of Weihenstephan-Triesdorf has two headquarters, Freising and Triesdorf, including seven departments. In winter semester 2011 16 undergraduate courses of study, five dual degree programmes and eight master’s courses have been offered.
Department Biotechnology and Bioinformatics
The department was founded in 1990. The Bachelor degree programmes lead to a professional Bachelor’s qualification with a high emphasis on the practical component. You can complete a Bachelor’s degree within seven semesters, a Master’s degree within three semesters, both including a practical semester at a company respectively a Master thesis at a company. In winter semester 2011 brewing and beverage technology became a course of the department. Approximately 500 students are studying currently at the department Biotechnology and Bioinformatics.
- Biotechnology since 2008 (derives from the Diploma Degree programme Biotechnology 1988)
- Bioprocess Informatics since 2008 (from the Diploma Degree programme Bioinformatics 2000)
- Brewing and beverage technology since 2011
- Biotechnology/ Bioengineering is the cooperating Master programme of our department with the University of Munich
- Students interested in the Master programme Informatics can register at the University Landshut, our Master degree partner
Hochschule dual – dual university
The concept of dual study includes two types of studies – the combined study and the study with in-depth practice. Choosing a combined study, a student starts an apprenticeship at a company cooperating with our department. During his apprenticeship he can start studying at our university. Within seven semesters he graduates at both apprenticeship and university.
Studying with in-depth practice a student has registered conventionally at our university. The student is completing his internships and the Bachelor’s degree at a cooperating company to broaden his practical experience.
Thus, for this bride range of practical experience we offer
- a study with in-depth practice in Bioprocess Informatics (Bioprocess Informatics Dual), emerged from the cooperation with Roche Diagnostics GmbH in 2008
- a combined study for students at the course brewing and beverage technology
To enable a comprehensive education for students we allocate inter alia:
- the Biotechnikum with three bioreactors, a separator, a vacuum dryer, a centrifuge, a mass spectrometer, a cell fermenter and a process chromatography
- the Bioinformatics-Centre, where students can use software programmes or work on an industrial robot
- future Brewers can e.g. gain practical experience in collaboration with the Research Institute for Horticulture Weihenstephan at the Institute for Food Technology