The focal points of Miteco plant technology are blending, dissolving and concentrating. One of our key technologies for these processes is the Radial Jet Mixer®, which differs fundamentally from other processes to blend liquid and solid starter materials.
The Radial Jet Mixer® has a very simple and exceptionally reliable design which ensures increased homogeneity of the mix compared to other techniques. It is a quick technique, has shorter mixing times and places low mechanical stress on the mix.
The principles of jet mixing were first seriously explored in the 1960s, and the possible areas of application were not quite sure at that time. Angelo Cadeo was amongst the first who devised a jet mixing equipment for the solution of sugar, a common requirement in the food and beverage technology. Though of course in the first years of its development, the jet mixing process was experimental and not jet mature for industrial scale implementation, the potential of the technology was striking. Some of the benefits of jet mixing:
- The mixing does not involve conventional impellers or other rotating devices; therefore
- there are no moving parts in the mixing tank
- which are not so easy to clean due to there geometry.
- Since there is no mechanical force transmission,
- there is no need for reinforced support bridges on the mixing tank,
- no need for supporting structures inside the tank
- or any submerged bearings.
- Having no moving parts in the tank eliminates any maintenance work related to such components.
- The actual mixing is done in a very short time and is completed in a close distance from the jet nozzle,
- which means that the mixing tank does not require baffles to prevent vortex building and
- the problem of dead spots is virtually eliminated
- And since the actual mixing area is quite small, the level of the liquid in the mixing tank does not influence the mixing process, by contrast to conventional mechanical mixers.
- The efficiency and accuracy of the jet mixing process also provides a considerable advantage in terms of energy consumption: less power is needed,
- and a greatly reduced mixing time not only speeds up the process and achieves higher throughput, but saves energy as well.
Of course, what sounds simple – just attach a pump and create a nozzle – required decades of research and development to result in the highly puristic and extremely efficient design of Miteco’s Radial Jet Mixer.