Since 1984, Specific Mechanical Systems (SMS) has handcrafted brewing and distilling systems for the craft beer and spirits industries, in addition to supplying various industries with complex processing equipment. Originally a two-person company, the company now employs a team of over 85 people.
Our competitive advantage is our focus on customer success. All of our customers receive the same high level of attention, from beginning of the sales cycle through the life of their operation. We strive to not only service the needs of the customer but exceed their levels of satisfaction by providing them helpful information beyond what is requested and delivering solutions that allow them to be successful in their business.
Core competencies of engineering design, fabrication of both stainless steel and copper, as well as project management ensure a quality product is delivered to each customer. Our consultative sales and project management approach allows the customer to be involved in the design and fabrication process.
Our systems are turnkey solutions, incorporating third party components to complement our manufactured products. Our systems vary in size and are customized to the unique needs of each customer, whether they are a start-up brewpub/distillery using a manual system or a large scale production brewery/distillery requiring a comprehensive automated brewing process.
Our team of engineers design our systems and provide project management consulting services to our customers for brewery/distillery design and equipment installation. Our field service team assists in system installations and commissioning services.
We also manufacture supporting equipment including hop dosing systems, yeast propagation and storage tanks, Clean In Place (CIP) systems, keg washers, grist hoppers, rectification columns, boil ball heads, stripping heads, collection vessels and barrel dumps.
Our automation team has developed SpecBrew, a comprehensive automation package that is recipe driven and designed to manage brewery operations from grain handling all the way to packaging of product. Brewery automation is used by production breweries focused on product quality and consistency.
A recipient of the Occupational Safety Standard of Excellence award from the Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC, SMS continues to focus on our strongest assets; our people.
As a past winner of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year award, SMS is recognized in the region as a desirable place of employment and a leader in manufacturing excellence.
We service Canada and the USA primarily, with systems sold to several other countries worldwide. We are now focused on increasing exports to new markets.
Specific Mechanical Systems offers you products from these product groups:
Machinery and Installations for Beverage Production (790)
Machinery and installations for beer production (431)
- Silo and other storage installations, crushed malt containers (48)
- Wet/dry mills, conditioning (33)
- Brewing room installations (131)
- Wort treatment and aeration installations, flotation (64)
- Yeast treatment installations, yeast propagation (71)
- Installations for dry hopping (45)
- Fermentation and lagering installations (150)
- Recovery installations (35)
- Wet spent grain, wet yeast and surplus yeast treatment installations (25)
- Pub brewery installations (103)
- Miscellaneous machinery and installations for beer production (207)
- Machinery and installations for the production of nonalcoholic beverages and liquid dairy products (282)
- Machinery and installations for the production of wine, sparkling wine and spirits (169)
- Machinery and installations for beer production (431)
- Machinery and Installations for Filling and Packaging Beverages (591)
- Automation and IT (317)
- Operating and Laboratory Equipment, Process and Auxiliary Materials (609)