Self-adhesive, pressure-sensitive labels (PSL), using plastic films, are proving immensely popular for beverage bottles. The no-label-look in particular enhances the shelf appeal of premium brand labelling. Hallmarks of pressure-sensitive labels from Haendler & Natermann are:
- Gravure-printed in up to 10 colours
- Crystal clear single-layer and multilayer laminated film
- Outstanding print quality (gravure printing)
- High-speed label application
Modular machines have been developed for applying pressure-sensitive labels to beer bottles. The technology has several advantages:
- No wet glue to manage
- Lower cleaning and maintenance costs
- Fewer different formats cover a range of different bottle sizes and outfits
- Highly effi cient labelling lines with high-speed label application
The prepunched labels are supplied on a roll backed by a release liner. Labels are continuously detached from the roll and pressed on to the bottles.
Haendler & Natermann can offer expert advice on the choice of materials for specific applications. Typical materials for nolabel-look labels are:
- For bottle front and neck labels: 2-layer OPP/OPP composite foil, total thickness approx. 60 μm
- For bottle back labels: 1-layer OPP, thickness approx. 50 μm
- Further options include alternative laminates with white, metallized foils or even paper
The use of a plastic (eg, polyester) film release liner is the key to high transparency and clarity of the bonding adhesive and to high-speed automated label application.
Gravure printing processes guarantee high printing quality together with:
- Gold and silver metallization effects
- High coverage in white and brilliant colours
- Laser-codable lacquers and inks
Pressure-sensitive labels are one more component in Haendler & Natermann’s wide spectrum of high-quality label products for beverage bottles.