Flavourtech’s Centritherm® evaporator is the ideal technology for producing high quality concentrates of products that are heat sensitive, viscous or of particularly high value.
With a residence time on the heating surface of only one second, and using evaporation temperatures as low as 35oC, the Centritherm® evaporator has minimal to no effect on colour and active constituents. This ensures that active ingredients are protected leading to higher yields of their valuable properties. The low temperatures used also ensure that no heat derived flavours are produced to alter the original flavour of your products.
Clever in design, the Centritherm® evaporator is much more compact than competing evaporators and can be installed quickly with minimal infrastructure requirements. A simple operator interface makes it easy to use and a built-in cleaning system means changeover from one product to the next is quick and easy.
Furthermore, its centrifugal design means it can reach higher concentrations than other evaporators and it is often used as a finisher in the evaporation process to reduce process and energy requirements downstream.
Applications of the Centritherm® evaporator include:
- High quality grape juice concentrates in the wine industry
- High quality tea and coffee concentrates
- High quality fruit and vegetable concentrates
- Solvent removal from botanicals and oleoresins
- Solvent removal in the pharmaceutical industry
- Concentration of vitamins, enzymes and active ingredients
The main benefits include:
- Low thermal impact due to its short residence time and low operating temperatures. The product is in contact with the heating surface for a mere one second―a substantially shorter time than in other evaporation systems, which may take several minutes. Also, as the unit operates under vacuum, it reduces the product’s boiling point such that evaporation can take place at lower temperatures.
- Minimal product losses - as a result of the extremely short residence time and thin product film on the heating surface, the volume of product present in the Centritherm® evaporator at any given instant is negligible. This low hold-up volume makes the Centritherm evaporator ideal for processing small batches of high value products, or for processing multiple products.
- The ability to achieve high concentrations in a single pass due to the centrifugal forces that are experienced by the product on the spinning cone
- The ability to handle more viscous products than other evaporators (up to 20,000cP)
- Hygienic system design
- The flexibility to fit an integrated pre-evaporator stage to increase the concentration of extract and reduce energy consumption while still being delicate on the product
Many wineries produce concentrated grape juice in order to reduce transportation and storage costs, for product sweetening, or to increase the total sugar level in the grape juice prior to fermentation. The Centritherm® evaporator is often used for concentration of grape juice up to 68°Brix with only a one second contact time on the heating surface and typical evaporation temperatures of just 50°C. This quick evaporation step ensures that the concentrate has no cooked or “jammy” notes that may result with other evaporators that use higher temperatures and longer residence times. Preservative free grape juice concentrate may be produced using the Centritherm evaporator by concentrating the juice to sugar levels above which fermentation will not occur. Many of Australia’s largest wineries are benefiting through the use of the Centritherm evaporator for grape juice concentration.